On Thursday 9 July 2020 Education Secretary Rt hon Gavin Williamson CBE MP gave a radical policy changing speech on the future support for '‘technical education’ in the UK, which implicitly also significantly affects Higher Education as well.
The key points of his speech were:
- The recognition of the growing importance of Further Education and the need for high-quality technical skills to drive economic recovery
- a vision for a “wholesale rebalancing towards further and technical education” with a stronger alignment with the economic and societal needs of the nation
- ensuring individuals don’t always choose a university option which, for some, ends with graduates not having the skills needed for meaningful work
- the future publication of a White Paper setting out plans to build a world-class, German-style further education system in Britain, levelling up skills and opportunities
- crucial need for high quality qualifications based on employer-led Standards
- colleges playing a leading role in developing skills in their areas; responding to local economic needs and acting as centres for businesses.
Efficiency North through its training and employment operating company EN:Able Futures is perfectly placed to support the new ‘Opportunity Guarantee’ programme whereby Level 2 and 3 apprenticeships are being financially supported by the Government and the proposed growth of Traineeships.
Simeon Perry, Head of Operations, EN:Able Communities CIO
For more information regarding EN:Able Futures apprenticeship opportunities please contact Nicky Field, Operations Manager, on phone 07791 877747 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
A free webinar for 16 to 18-year olds about careers in construction is being hosted by EN:Able Futures on 11 August. To register a place visit: efficiencynorth.org/enfwebinar